Heritage Register
James Bay

29 Menzies Street
(ex-152 Menzies St)

Built 1893
Heritage-Designated 1977

For: Henry & Mary Cooley

Architect: attributed to Thomas Hooper
Contactor: Henry Cooley

29 Menzies


This well-preserved example of a front-gabled, 2½-storey, late Victorian Queen Anne house, was originally paired with its now-much-altered neighbour at 23 Menzies. The house has a two-storey projection on the right front comprising a balcony above an entry porch; the house, the balcony and the entry porch all have pedimented gables, as does the 2½-storey box bay on the left side. The balcony has a frieze which is continuous with the frieze around the house. The balcony is supported by turned posts and pilasters with a turned spindle frieze and turned balusters. A decorative shingle beltcourse separates the balcony from the porch. The porch, which projects beyond the balcony, has turned posts and pilasters between now-solid frieze and balustrade. The original frieze and balustrade had ornate lattice work. There are hung arches and brackets between the posts on both levels. To the left of the porch is a cutaway angled bay with wide brackets and inset panels above the windows. A shed-roofed addition on the left rear and the second-floor porch on the rear now connect with the garage roof as a roof garden. The gables have decorative shingles and Queen Anne windows; the cladding is drop siding, with vertical siding below the water table. The house was named Loth Lorien by tenants Stephen Bishop & other Quakers c.1975.


Owners: 1893-1943: Henry Cooley (b. ENG 1843-1922) and Mary (née Hosking, b. ENG c.1860-?). Henry came to Canada in 1871 and Victoria in 1887. They also built 23 and 37 Menzies St. He paid taxes on $750 improvements for 29 in 1894, then $1,500 in 1896 and $2,200 in 1897. Henry, who was the owner of Victoria Sheet Metal Works, was a city alderman in 1900-01 and died at his residence, 37 Menzies St. Mary came to Canada in 1891. She lived at 37 Menzies St until 1935 and 29 Menzies until 1943, then left Victoria.


Tenants: 1894-98: John Greenfield (b. Chester, ENG 1851-1916) and Eliza (née Kelly, b. Russell, ON c.1859-1947). John came to Canada with his family in 1866. He began working in an Ottawa post office in 1873, and in 1893 transferred to Victoria as assistant inspector. In 1898 a postal unit was established in Vancouver, and John transferred there, becoming inspector in 1904.

1902-04: Frederick Worlock and Martha (née Rainer) moved here from England in 1888. Frederick joined his brother-in-law, Alexander Green, in the banking business, Garesch-Green, which then became Green, Worlock and Co. Due to the financial depression in 1892-93, Frederick moved to Dawson City with the Canadian Development Co. He returned to Victoria for health reasons and worked in the salmon canning industry, then was superintendent of the Victoria-Phoenix Brewery for 22 years. Frederick was an original member of the Arion Male Voice Choir, and belonged to the Rotary and Canadian Clubs. He died at their residence at 16 Menzies St in 1926 at 78. Martha, a member of Women’s Auxiliary of Christ Church Cathedral and Bishop Cridge Chapter of IODE, died in 1940 at 86.

Duplex: 1944-58+: John William Ibbetson (b.ENG 1876-1957) and Bertha Louisa (b. Yorks, ENG 1882-1978) came here in 1940. John was a blacksmith at Yarrows Shipyard.
1944-55+: Alvin Porteous (b. AB c.1911) and Sarah “Sadie” Hannah (née Gurr, b. South Shields, ENG 1909-1985). Alvin was on WWII active service when they first lived here, then was an electrician for the Canadian government, then a fireman.


• James Bay History

• James Bay Heritage Register

• This Old House, Victoria's Heritage Neighbourhoods,
Volume Two: James Bay

House GrantsHeritage HousesResources & PublicationsNews & EventsBuilding CommunityAbout