Heritage Register
James Bay

401 Menzies Street

Built 1912

For: British Columbia Government

Architect: Francis Mawson Rattenbury, attributed

401 Menzies


This carriage house is a richly textured and very decorative example of Tudor Revival. End gabled, it has complex dormers over three bays, each with a pair of arched doors with diagonal tongue-and-groove narrow vertical panels. Above each bay is a half-timbered, gabled dormer with elaborate copper downspouts. The doors are highlighted with repousse copper strap hinges. The ends are stucco with elaborate half timbering. The first level has a pair of bracketted cantilevered box bays with multi-pane double hung sashes glazed with diamond-paned leaded-lights. The upper part of the gable projects further and features a central pair of diamond-paned sashes, flanked by decorative steeply gabled dove cotes. The elaborate barge boards are trimmed with dentil cornices and have pendants at the eaves as well as finials and pendants at the apex. The back has an additional matching pair of arched doors to the right and a shed-roofed extension to the left. The extension is clad in double bevel siding and has a gabled dormer that repeats the half-timbered motif of the front central dormer. The multi-sashed window below is glazed with unleaded glass. The Superior St end of the extension has a cantilevered box bay on brackets with diamond leaded panes to match the rest of the end. The original corbelled chimney remains. The building is now used for storage. Portions of the original vertical tongue-and-groove interior cladding remain.

This building survived a fire in the mid-1980s.


• James Bay History

• James Bay Heritage Register

• This Old House, Victoria's Heritage Neighbourhoods,
Volume Two: James Bay

House GrantsHeritage HousesResources & PublicationsNews & EventsBuilding CommunityAbout