Heritage Register
James Bay

122 South Turner Street

Built 1907
Heritage-Designated 1985

For: William & Elsie Lorimer

122 South Turner


This shingled, 1½-storey, gabled Arts & Crafts Bungalow, built for $3,500, has heavy modillions under the eaves. There are gabled dormers on either side of the house, and a shallow, cantilevered, angled bay under the eaves below the dormer on the left side. The gabled dormer on the front, stuccoed and half-timbered in its apex, sits on the hipped roof sheltering the full-width front verandah. The open sleeping porch in the front dormer has square balusters between two chamfered square posts which support a shingled, flat-topped arch. In the verandah is an angled bay to the left of the entrance which has a side light to its right. The verandah has a centrally-located pair of chamfered square posts, triple posts on each corner, and single posts at the rear, connected by shingled, flat-topped arches and solid shingled balustrades. The stairs, offset to the right, have solid, stepped, shingled balustrades. The transoms, entrance door and sidelight on the front main floor all have leaded art glass.


Owners: 1907-84: William Alexander Lorimer (b. Victoria 1872-1929) and Elsie (née Arthur, b. North Rustico, PEI 1877-1947) lived here until 1914, then moved to the Gorge. William’s parents were William Lorimer, a pioneer contractor, and Lily Main. He was a bookkeeper for Robert Porter & Sons (649 Superior St, James Bay) and later assistant city treasurer for 20 years. William Jr. was president of the City Hall Officials’ Association, a member of Native Sons of BC, and committee chairman for the first restoration of Craigflower Schoolhouse (2755 Admirals Rd, Saanich). He played soccer, and later coached the James Bay junior soccer team. He organized the Capital City Athletic Association which featured prominent football and baseball teams.


Tenants: 1914-16: Widower Charles James Blomfield (b. ENG 1831-1916) and his working offspring; Charles died at 676 Battery St, James Bay.

1917: Frederick Charles Corry (c.1858-1943), son Frederick Charles V. Corry Jr. (b. Halifax, NS 1883-1938), an accountant, who was on active service, and son’s wife Annie Gerrie (née Gill, b. Napanee, ON c.1889-1937); Fred & Annie married in 1912 in Cranbrook, BC.

1918-23: Alice Maud Ferrabee (née Wigmore, b. Stroud, Glos, ENG 1864-1931), widow of John Fulton Ferrabee (b. Stroud, Glos, ENG 1850-1912), and her working offspring.

The Lorimers returned to 122 in 1925. Elsie came to Victoria with her family in 1897, and taught at Spring Ridge School before her marriage in 1904. She founded the Parent-Teacher Association of BC at Craigflower School in 1915. Elsie was an active member of James Bay Athletic Association and Victoria Lawn Bowling Club, and an associate member of Native Daughters of BC. Elsie taught James Bay United Church Sunday School classes for years, and was superintendent of the Cradle Roll.

William and Elsie’s daughter, Jean (b. Victoria 1906-84) lived here until her death. She was an elementary school teacher for 40 years, and taught at South Park School for 16 before retiring. Jean was a member of Native Daughters of BC.


• James Bay History

• James Bay Heritage Register

• This Old House, Victoria's Heritage Neighbourhoods,
Volume Two: James Bay

House GrantsHeritage HousesResources & PublicationsNews & EventsBuilding CommunityAbout