Heritage Register

582 St. Charles Street (ex-532 St. Charles St)

Built 1904
Heritage-Designated 2002

For: Elizabeth & George Kirk

Architect: Francis Mawson Rattenbury

582 St Charles


This two-storey, bellcast-hip-roofed, Tudor Revival house has many of the same Rattenbury traits as 534 St. Charles St. The main façade has a gabled, half-timbered projection with a tall, slender finial and ten multi-light leaded windows. It sits on a bracketed belt course above a curve-arched porch which leads to the front door. To the right on the second floor is a wide balcony over an open porch with large square posts, pilaster and solid balustrade. To the left on the main floor is a hip-roofed angled bay. Above the bay, a wide dormer addition adds a ½ storey to the house. On the right side is a small dormer above a one-storey box bay; both are hip-roofed. On the left side is flat roofed extension with a deck above. On the rear is a full-height angled bay under the roofline. The front steps, flared balustrades and round posts are all of stone. There is a matching garage beyond the main house. Both are stuccoed with half-timbered upper levels. The Victoria Daily Colonist listed the house as costing $6,000.


1904-28: Elizabeth “Lizzie” Georgina (1873-1928) and George Allan Kirk (b. Dover, ENG 1870-1928) married in 1903. Lizzie was the daughter of James and Agnes Harvey; Agnes was the daughter of Robert and Joan Dunsmuir (1050 Joan Cr, Rockland). Agnes died in 1889 in Nanaimo and James six months later. Joan, recently widowed, had just moved into the huge new Craigdarroch Castle, and she took Lizzie and her brother Robert to live with her. It is believed that Joan Dunsmuir commissioned Rattenbury to design this house for her granddaughter. The wedding reception was at Craigdarroch, and the couple honeymooned around the world. They returned about a year later and took up residence in their new home.

George was the son of Emily and Col. James Buchanan Kirk, commander of the 91st Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders. George was in the Royal Navy, then came to Victoria in 1890. He and his brother Lawrence became partners in the wholesale dry goods business, Turner, Beeton Co, and by 1902 George was managing director. George joined the 8th Fusiliers and eventually became a major. In 1914, he was thrown from his horse while with his regiment at the Willows training ground, and eventually lost his leg. He died suddenly in London, England, of heart failure. Elizabeth died in Victoria several months later of “cerebral apoplexy”.


This house was vacant for several years.

1932-63: Raymond Francis Castle (1895-1949) and Katherine Elma “Kitty” Fraser (1894-1963) married in 1922 and lived with her parents Elizabeth (née Thomson) and Dr. Roderick Fraser at 800 St Charles St before moving here. Kitty was the granddaughter of William and Margaret Thomson, very early Central Saanich pioneers. Raymond was born in Teulon, MB, a small town named after his Irish mother Cara Maria Teulon, by his father Charles Caesar Castle, who was a director of the railway which extended to the Ukrainian settlement north of Winnipeg c.1900. Raymond came to Victoria in 1910. He was a financier, and during the time he lived at this house, he ran the Native Sons Mines and was proprietor of the Oak Bay Theatre.


• Map of Victoria's Heritage Register Properties

• Rockland History

• Rockland Heritage Register

• This Old House, Victoria's Heritage Neighbourhoods,
Volume Three: Rockland, Burnside, Harris Green,
Hillside-Quadra, North Park & Oaklands

House GrantsHeritage HousesResources & PublicationsNews & EventsBuilding CommunityAbout